The Bishnoi still exist and live apart from the other Hindu communities. They still strictly adhere to the caste system and marry very young by arrangement. Our guide's own marriage was sealed in all but consummation when he was 13 and his bride only 9. They now have 3 children; the oldest of 6 years and the youngest a matter of months.
We visited Chhotu's family home, which housed his unmarried brother, their parents, his wife and their 3 children. An enterprising and ambitious individual, he had also opened his home to tourists providing a homestay in a couple of traditional round huts. His wife made us lunch, which consisted of gobi, aloo, chilli, haldi - apparently green turmeric, but very much like mashed potato in texture & appearance - with roti. Weavers according to their caste, Chhotu's parents gave us a demonstration on a large loom in a barn outside. Chhotu was clearly the apple of his father's eye, who sported an impressive Rajput style moustache and was responsible for setting up a cooperative of 50 Bishnoi families to which everyone contributed: 95% went to the worker & his own family while the remaining 5% went to the cooperative.
Well worth a look, though not for those hypersensitive to voyeurism; at times, there's a definite sense of 'oooh look, see how poor they are - fascinating...'